Saturday 18 March 2017

My Day 1 @ Taipei


To be honest, I was always reluctant to visit Taiwan for several reasons. 1st- I am holding a Philippine passport so I need to apply for a visa which about US$25 while Hongkong, Japan and Korea visas are free. 2nd- I don't speak chinese. I was wondering how can I roam around. 3rd- I may not like their foods.

However, I am curious about Taiwan maybe because I was influence by a Taiwanese drama "Meteor Garden" or I keep hearing Taipei. I just visited Taipei, I am flying to Taipei or our company trip will be in Taipei. So one day, I decided to google Taiwan, best time to visit Taipei... During Fall Season (September - November) which of course I didn't follow! :D I love winter, c'mon! I was born in a tropical country and now residing in a no winter country. So I search the cheapest 4 days including weekend (i'm working from M-F) from January to February. I leave Friday morning and return back Monday night by Tiger Airways which cost me around US$190 (SG$267). My friend from Manila booked by Cebu Pacific around US$90 (PHP4,500). We booked our tickets 4 months before our trip.

After we book, I need to check our visa. It turns out that nationals from India, Indonesia, Myanmar, Philippines, Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos who had a resident card or tourist visa (expired less than 10 years prior to the date of arrival in Taiwan) issued by Australia, Canada, Japan, Korea, New Zealand, any of the Schengen Countries, UK and US can apply online for an ROC Travel Authorization Certificate. Multiple entries within 90 days are allowed. It took me less than 5 minutes and Free!!!

I did travel in Japan three years ago, though my tourist visa is expired still its within 10 years so I am eligible to apply and it's free. Kindly take note that you need to print out this certificate and you must bring along with you the visa that you used to apply. E-visa is accepted and if happens that the visa is from your expired passport, bring that passport with you too. The Taiwan immigration officer will check it thoroughly and failure to submit means that you can not enter their country.

It turns out that all my apprehensions were nonsense. 1st- as I am eligible to apply the certificate, I am visa-exempted. 2nd- There is no problem if you can not speak chinese. Almost road signs have an english translation. As I am very detailed person, I always bring my itinerary with me. I copy and paste the chinese characters of the places I wanted to visit so it's easier to communicate. The locals are very nice people. They are willing to extend their help assisting us for directions, buying the correct tickets and even choosing foods. 3rd- I love their foods. I keep eating from 7am - 11pm and I can't stop.

I arrived Taipei @ 1pm. You need an arrival card which you can get from here. Make sure that you have an arrival card with you before you lined up at immigration or you need to leave the queu if you're traveling alone and return back just to get an immigration card. The queue can be very long. Though it's moving and systematic still it took me 30 mins to finish.

At the airport, I immediately bought a local sim card which you can choose how many days but since i needed for 4 days and minimum you can buy is 5 days free data, I bought it for NTD 500 
(US$17/S$23). It's very helpful as i roam around the city, I need my google maps for directions and if there's a need to call like taxi etc., I don't need to worry for roaming charges.

I am very lucky as the Taoyuan Airport MRT was on it's test run and offer free rides, so my fare to Taipei Main station is free!

You just need to follow all the arrows but if you want to be sure there's an information counter at the airport. The train is very comfortable and convenient. The interval is also quiet fast, i think every 3 minutes.

If you arrived late at midnight or you prefer to travel by bus, bus is operational 24 hours to Taipei Main Station (NT$250/US$9/SG$12). You can ask from the information counter which bus numbers you need to take to your preferred destination. Taxi is from NT$1,000-NT$1,500 (US$45/SG$65).




 

 There are two types of routes. 1st- normal route which will stop to each station. It will take 45 min to 1 hour before reaching Taipei Main station.

2nd- express lane that will stop at 5 highlighted stations only. To Terminal 1, took 30 mins from Taipei main station.

 


Taipei main station is the center, if you will book your hotel should be within this area for accessibility and time efficiency. I book our hotel at Ximending area which is just one station away (Ximen station).

As my second day itinerary is to Ruifang, I tried to book an express train but unfortunately it's sold out. Ruifang is where you can connect to Pingxi Line which the details is on my day 2 at Taiwan. Actually I don't need to worry, as there's a local train to Ruifang as well but if you really prefer an express train, you can buy online days before you travel (NT$76/US$2.50 one way/SG$3.50). Alternatively, there's a bus at Ximen station exit 4 which will bring me there as well.
 


Taiwan public transportation is very convenient and well connected. You can easily go from one place to another. If you want to buy a single journey token, the steps is very easy. On top, look for the station where you wanted to go. As I need to go Ximen station, the fare is also at that map. it shows 20 so I click 20. Below are the number of tickets that i need to buy. On my case, I just need one ticket so i just need to click 20 and the machine will automatically gave me one ticket. The machine accept coins and notes. Alternatively, for your convenience as well just buy at the counter the easy card. The card is NTD100 and the initial top up is NTD100, just prepare NTD200 (US$7/SG$10). The fare using easy card is cheaper as well compare to single journey ticket (i.e. NT$20 single = NT$16 easycard). 


I checked in at Tomorrow Hotel which is just 2 mins walking distance to Ximen Station Exit 6. Per night is from S$80/US$60 with buffet breakfast for 2 people. It's newly renovated (
I guess), though the room is really small, just nice for a double bed and small side desk table, you have a private toilet attached and it's clean. Breakfast is not excellent as 5 star of course but it's passable as they refill quiet often and also variety of choices. Most importantly, just one minute walk to the famous Ximending night market.
 Since Ximending night market is just my "neighbor" i decided to visit another famous night market.

Shilin Night Market
Taipei is famous for night markets. My first night market that I decided to visit is Shilin Night Market. It's very accessible by train.

The trick for Taipei Mrt station is it's "color coded". From the map you can see which color and which station that you can transfer (i.e. Green line to Red line). Shilin NM is at Jiantan station (red). Exit 1 then just cross the road. Just follow all the arrows and you will never get lost.



 As it's almost 7pm already and my last meal is at the plane (instant noodle and 3 in 1 coffee lolz), I am very hungry!

So my first stop of course is food, B1 food court is the famous "I believe" as it's covered, got proper tables and chairs and variety of choices.

As you went down by escalator to B1, you will still in doubt if this is the right one. Upon reaching, tadannn! You will be overwhelm with variety of choices. As I am hungry, on the left side you just need to seat down at the table as somebody will approach you.

Do not worry it's normal and I think it's practical for us non-speaking chinese tourists. I sat down and point from the pictures what I want. At the entrance, you will definitely smell the stinky tofu as it stands out from the rest. As it's raining so my choices of oyster soup thin noodles, stinky tofu and Taiwan beer is perfect! I am alone on my first day, stinky tofu is a challenge! I had enough with 2 slices but as I don't want to waste foods, I finished all 6 slices. Then finished my soup and beer is awesome. I just pay NT$150 (US$5/SG$7) for these three.


Afterwhich, I walk around the entire B1 foodcourt and there's really a wide variety of choices. More details will be mentioned on my
another blog Taipei Markets.
As I find my way out, I saw this Aiyu Jelly drink, it looks very refreshing and I'm not mistaken. It's the perfect drink while walking around the Shilin NM.

It's very interesting as it's combination of shopping, playing, eating and praying as well. Shilin Cixian Temple is just right in the middle of the market. 
 You can shop to a wide variety of winter clothes, casual or simple getaways clothings, Bags, fruits  and etc. It's like a one stop night market which you can find anything and it's cheaper.

Walking back to the train station, you will definitely notice a street food stall with yellow signage as people are queuing. Nice cars also will stop and one person will queue to buy this chicken. It's deep fried, then will dip to its sauce, then grilled a bit. You can choose if you want a bit spicy. It's very nice though you must be careful as it's not boneless.

This is the thoughtfulness I should say by Taiwan, once you reach the station there's a drinking fountain. At Jiantan station, there's a tourist information center and a map as well in case you'll reach there earlier. Night market at Shilin starts around 6pm.
Taiwanese is very discipline in queuing. All their Mrt stations has this line for you to queue. So you better follow.

It's very cold and rainy weather so i decided to log off early and prepare for my second day and wait for my friend to arrive.

Look out for my Day 2 to 4 DIY itinerary blog.

Follow my instagram or Facebook page:
Inday Travels



No comments:

Post a Comment